- tussock moth
- noundull-colored moth whose larvae have tufts of hair on the body and feed on the leaves of many deciduous trees• Syn: ↑lymantriid• Hypernyms: ↑moth• Hyponyms:↑gypsy moth, ↑gipsy moth, ↑Lymantria dispar, ↑browntail, ↑brown-tail moth, ↑Euproctis phaeorrhoea, ↑gold-tail moth, ↑Euproctis chrysorrhoea
* * *noun: any of numerous dull-colored moths especially of the family Lymantriidae which in most of the common forms have wingless females
* * *any of several moths of the family Lymantriidae, the larvae of which have characteristic tufts of hair on the body and feed on the leaves of various deciduous trees.[1820-30]
* * *tussock moth nounAny moth of the family Lymantriidae (related to Lasiocampidae), from the tufts of hair on the caterpillars• • •Main Entry: ↑tussock
* * *tussock moth,any one of a family of dull-colored moths whose larvae have thick tufts of hair along the back, such as the gypsy moth.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.